(Photo and information from Townsville Bulletin 26 Jan 1995 held in the archives of the Townsville Performing Arts Museum)
Frank Carroll was born at Cronulla, NSW, and he completed his education at Sydney University in 1949. He was employed by the then Ministry of National Development as a geologist and spent time working on the Snowy River Scheme.
However, his first love was always music. From 1951 to 1959 he was music teacher, parish organist and choirmaster in Dubbo and studied at the Sydney Conservatorium.
In 1959, Frank went to study at the Royal College of Church Music and served as choirmaster/organist of several parishes.
In 1965, the college recommended him to Bishop Ian Shevill as a candidate for the position of organist at St James Cathedral in Townsville. Frank took up this position in September 1966 and retired at Christmas 1994, conducting the choir for the last time at midnight Mass.
However, the spirit and tone of his service to the church will be remembered in the cathedral’s restored organ. Frank convened the first committee to investigate restoration of the organ and the instrument is largely of his tonal design.
His service to the church was honoured in 1994.
Frank was also conductor of the Townsville Chamber Choir
(Photos from Monument Australia)