The Wintergarden Theatre, in Sturt Street, Townsville, was opened on Saturday 4th June 1927 by the Mayor of Townsville with a week’s season of entertainment. The theatre was home to live performances as well as moving pictures, and later included ‘the talkies’ or movies with sound.
The opening night performance was a production of Shakespeare’s Henry VIII by Alan Wilkie’s Shakespearean Company.
The Wintergarden was sold in the early 1970s and the building was left to decay until it was beyond economic repair. It was hoped that at least the facade of the building could be saved, but when the roof was found to contain asbestos it was deemed beyond saving. On the 8th March 1991, the building were demolished.